Body Contouring After Weight Loss
If you have achieved considerable weight loss, Baltimore area plastic surgeon Dr. Alyson Wells would like to congratulate you. Whether by surgery, diet, exercise or all of the above, losing substantial amounts of weight is always extremely difficult, yet also extremely rewarding. However, excess, saggy skin resulting from massive weight loss can diminish the sense of accomplishment. It serves as a reminder of what you fought hard to leave behind. All of the new, positive, appearance-focused attention from others is flattering, but also daunting because you know what your clothes are hiding from the outside world. Fortunately, Dr. Wells can help bring out your new, thinner physique by giving you firmer contours through post-weight loss body contouring.Request a Consultation
About Post-Weight Loss Body Contouring
Women and men who have lost extensive amounts of weight are often left with laxity of the skin and muscles, as well as residual fat deposits. These produce rolls of sagging skin that hang on the body and over your pants or skirts. Post-weight loss body contouring surgery addresses the areas of drooping, flabby skin affected by massive weight loss.
When performing any surgery, Dr. Wells pays careful attention to every aspect of the procedure. Her thorough and artistic approach ensures an excellent aesthetic result. For example, the beautiful results Dr. Wells achieves from lower body lift procedures are due in part to the special attention she gives to each individual component of this specialized and technically demanding operation.
Options for Post-Weight Loss Body Contouring
Body contouring procedure options range from the more comprehensive body lift to more specific procedures such as arm lift or tummy tuck. Baltimore area body contouring surgeon Dr. Wells will help you determine the treatment plan that fits your unique situation.
Body contouring following massive weight loss often involves body lifting. This is a general term for surgically improving the appearance of the upper, middle and lower portions of the body, including the abdomen, back, flanks, hips, buttock and thighs. Women and men interested in body contouring operations such as a body lift in the Baltimore area may receive one or all of the following treatments from Dr. Wells:
- Abdominoplasty – Known more commonly as tummy tuck, abdominoplasty removes stretch marks, excess skin, and fat from the lower abdomen and tightens the muscles of the abdomen like a corset.
- Lower body lift – This powerful procedure is the "gold standard" for post-weight loss body contouring. This technique addresses multiple problem areas at once—abdomen, flanks, hip, outer thighs and buttocks. It broadly, yet specifically, targets the areas of the body that are most affected by the deflated effect of reduced fatty deposits from substantial weight loss.
- Brachioplasty – Massive weight loss affects more than the midsection and lower body. The upper arms often end up with loose skin that hangs and adds bulk, similar to the appearance of a bat wing. Brachioplasty, or arm lift, removes the excess skin, restoring firmer, more slender arms and restoring your ability to comfortably wear blouses with sleeves (in many cases).
- Thighplasty – Also known as a thigh lift, thighplasty removes excess skin, usually from the inner thighs, and repositions tissues upward for firmer, more lifted, slenderer thighs. The incisions can often be hidden inside the area already covered by a bathing suit.
- Autologous buttock augmentation – When performing post-weight loss body contouring, Dr. Wells often includes buttock augmentation for her Baltimore area patients. This involves the transfer of your own fat (autologous) from one area, such as the abdomen, to your buttocks in order to improve the shape.
Is Post-Weight Loss Body Contouring Covered by Insurance?
While some weight loss surgical procedures may be covered by some insurance plans, post-weight loss body contouring procedures are typically not covered due to their cosmetic rather than health-related nature. Easy and flexible financing options make the procedure affordable, however.
Dr. Wells finds that most post-weight loss body contouring patients derive great personal and aesthetic benefits from body contouring procedures. Most enjoy greater confidence, improved self-esteem and a better quality of life.
Her rare combination of impeccable training, keen aesthetic sensibilities, technical skill and precision in plastic surgery sets this Baltimore surgeon apart from the rest.
Alyson Wells, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Patients who choose Dr. Wells appreciate the time she takes to answer all of their questions, down to the tiniest detail. She welcomes the opportunity to discuss breast augmentation with you and to help you feel informed and confident in your decision.
If you are interested in continuing your self-improvement and look forward to completely embracing your weight loss results, speak with Dr. Wells about your options for post-weight loss body contouring. request a consultation online or call (410) 628-8200.Back to top