For women with overly large, heavy breasts, Dr. Wells removes excess breast fat, glandular tissue and skin through a procedure called reduction mammoplasty or breast reduction. For Baltimore women who want to alleviate heaviness in the chest, achieve better proportions and gain relief from physical and social discomfort, breast reduction can be life-changing. Breast reduction surgery helps you feel better not only physically but also about yourself. Everyone will see the difference in how you carry yourself; many will ask if you have lost weight; few will know the truth behind your metamorphosis.Request a Consultation
Are You a Good Candidate for Breast Reduction?
Breast reduction may be a good option for you if:
- You experience back, neck and shoulder pain caused by the weight of your breasts
- You have indentations or grooving on your shoulders from bra straps supporting heavy, pendulous breasts
- You have skin irritation beneath the breast crease
- Your breasts limit your physical activity
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too large
- You receive unwanted attention that is focused on your breasts
- You have difficulty finding shirts and blouses that fit properly over your breasts
- Your breasts hang low
- You have stretched skin and enlargement of the areola (pigmented area around the nipple)
- Your nipples rest below the breast crease when your breasts are unsupported
- You are physically healthy
- You have realistic expectations
- You don't smoke
The incisions most often used are just like 2 of those used for breast lifts (refer to the vertical and inverted T incisions on the breast lift and breast reduction incisions page). They are typically very cosmetically acceptable. The incisions should not be visible in a bathing suit or other more revealing clothing.
Breast Lift (Mastopexy) or Breast Reduction | Full or Inverted-T Incisions
Breast Lift (Mastopexy) or Breast Reduction | Vertical Technique
In some circumstances (but not all), insurance may cover the cost of a breast reduction. Our knowledgeable staff will help you with questions about insurance.
Dr. Wells Welcomes Your Questions
Individuals interested in plastic surgery look to Dr. Wells for her kind, patient-centered disposition, her experience and her exceptional results. She will take the time to address your concerns so you can confidently make the choice to proceed with your breast reduction or other treatments.
Her rare combination of impeccable training, keen aesthetic sensibilities, technical skill and precision in plastic surgery sets this Baltimore surgeon apart from the rest.
Alyson Wells, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Patients who choose Dr. Wells appreciate the time she takes to answer all of their questions, down to the tiniest detail. She welcomes the opportunity to discuss breast augmentation with you and to help you feel informed and confident in your decision.
If you live in or around Baltimore, discover how a breast reduction can improve your quality of life. request a consultation online or call (410) 628-8200 to meet with Dr. Alyson Wells, a board-certified plastic surgeon.Back to top