Microneedling is a non-surgical method of rejuvenating the skin on your neck, face, and decolletage. Give your dry, dull, scarred, or aged skin a fresh start with microneedling at Valley Plastic Surgery. If you want to banish scars, discoloration, fine lines, and wrinkles, microneedling will transform your rough, tired skin into a smooth, glowing appearance! Best of all, the treatment is quick, convenient, and comfortable.
Dr. Alyson Wells, M.D., F.A.C.S. frequently combines microneedling with PRP Treatment to dramatically improve healing and procedure outcomes for her patients in Baltimore, MD. To learn more about how a custom-tailored microneedling treatment will completely revive your skin, call the helpful staff at Valley Plastic Surgery & Medi-Spa to schedule your private consultation today. Call (410) 628-8200 or fill out our inquiry form to receive a call from our scheduling coordinator.
Follow the blog of Dr. Wells to learn more about how her custom treatments and procedures can change your life.
- 1 What is Microneedling?
- 2 What is PRP?
- 3 Benefits of Microneedling
- 4 Is Microneedling Right For Me?
- 5 What to Expect During Your Consultation
- 6 Treatment Process
- 7 Recovery From microneedling
- 8 Resurfacing Lasers vs. Microneedling
- 9 Why Should I Choose Medical Microneedling?
- 10 Cost of Baltimore microneedling
- 11 References
What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is a minimally-invasive treatment that promotes skin renewal by penetrating the skin with tiny medical-grade needles. Also known as Collagen Induction Therapy, it is a highly popular procedure because it addresses the skin’s profound health and topical appearance.
During a microneedling treatment, the fine needles create microchannels in the skin. The microchannels signal the need for skin healing and develop pathways for newer, healthier skin to reach the surface. When the body heals, it boosts collagen and elastin, the production of which can slow as we age. 
The micro-channels make it easier for the medical-grade skin products you are already using—Vitamin C, retinol, and acids—to penetrate more deeply, improving their effectiveness.
microneedling with DermaPen
We perform microneedling at Valley Plastic Surgery with DermaPen. The DermaPen advanced microneedling design allows your skincare specialist to control the depth of the microneedles and achieve uniform distribution across the skin. The fine medical-grade needles reach cleanly and deeply into the skin without straining or pulling.
Older microneedling techniques, such as dermal rolling, pierced the skin at imperfect angles, tearing and straining the skin in the process. DermaPen improves outcomes and healing times! If you were not satisfied with an older method of microneedling, contact us today to experience boosted patient comfort and satisfaction with DermaPen!
PRP & Microneedling
PRP, or platelet-rich plasma, can be applied topically following microneedling to improve healing profiles and achieve a more noticeable glow. Collagen development is even more pronounced following microneedling with PRP because PRP has the impressive ability to strengthen the structure of the skin cells themselves! 
What is PRP?
PRP, or platelet-rich plasma, is a natural component of our blood. PRP is rich in proteins and growth factors. Growth factors are signaling molecules that tell the body to heal. When applied topically, PRP can promote the development of new collagen and elastin fibers and new blood vessels (neovascularization).  All of these processes work together to improve the appearance of your skin!
PRP has been shown to:
Patients can receive PRP applications at the same time as their microneedling appointment.
Preparing for PRP Treatment
To prepare your PRP serum, we will take a blood sample when you arrive for your microneedling appointment. The blood will be processed through a centrifuge to separate the red blood cells. The remaining platelets will be prepared for topical application following your microneedling session. The microchannels will allow the PRP to soak deeply into the tissue and improve the skin’s health. Patients who receive PRP application with their microneedling enjoy better results faster. The skin heals in four to five days after PRP application. Results are similar to those accomplished with a chemical peel!
Benefits of Microneedling
Microneedling is a gentle, natural form of skin resurfacing that offers the following benefits:
- Stimulates the body’s biological healing processes
- Profoundly improves the health of the skin
- Addresses blemishes
- Smooths wrinkles
- Promotes a healthy, youthful glow
- Restores lost volume
- Accelerates skin renewal
The procedure can clear skin imperfections like a boss. In addition, patients interested in optimizing their rejuvenation can add a variety of methods to their microneedling treatment. Additionally, the treatment time is quick and comfortable, and no downtime is required.
After microneedling, you will notice that your skin is fuller and smoother. There will be a significant reduction in your scars, blemishes, and discolorations, as well as your fine lines and wrinkles. Patients who receive microneedling with PRP application see more robust collagen development.
Your best results will be noticeable after three to four treatment sessions. Dr. Wells recommends placing your microneedling treatments two to four weeks apart to see your most pronounced rejuvenation.
Is Microneedling Right For Me?
Microneedling is a simple procedure that treats many skin issues. Microneedling is safe to use on any tone or type of skin. Men and women of all ages and backgrounds can completely rejuvenate their skin with a regimen of custom-tailored microneedling treatments. Medical microneedling is a one-stop solution for patients with the following:
- Acne scars
- Enlarged pores
- Fine lines
- Or other issues that detract from your appearance
Additionally, individuals who want to see significant improvements in their skin health and volume are ideal candidates for the benefits of microneedling with PRP application.
However, if you have active acne or a cold sore, you will need to wait to receive your microneedling until these conditions resolve themselves.
What to Expect During Your Consultation
During your consultation for microneedling, your skin care specialist will discuss your unique skin with you. After we have a clear sense of your goals for your appearance, we will customize a microneedling treatment plan for you. If your skin needs more pronounced renewal, we may recommend that you combine microneedling and PRP application. We will share our professional opinion if an alternative treatment is better for achieving your preferred results.
Your private consultation is our chance to get to know you and your skin. We tailor every treatment at Valley Plastic Surgery to YOU. So, we invite you to ask any questions you may have. We want you to feel comfortable from start to finish!
Depending on the details of your treatment, your microneedling session will last thirty to sixty minutes. If you are enhancing your microneedling with PRP application, we will take a blood sample at the beginning of your session.
1. Numb Up – A numbing topical cream will be applied and given thirty minutes to take effect, or you can conveniently use the numbing cream before arrival.
2. Further Comfort – Some patients say that the forehead is the most uncomfortable area to receive microneedling, but any discomfort is tolerable. In some patients, small injections of numbing medicine plus the topical cream provide even more comfort.
3. DermaPen Distribution – During your microneedling treatment with DermaPen, we will administer fine, medical-grade needles to the skin at a ninety-degree angle. DermaPen allows your skincare specialist to control the depth and application of the needles to guarantee even distribution and ideal outcomes. The needle length will depend on the treatment area and your skin’s needs.
4. Additional Improvements – After the microneedling, we will apply any additional serums you have selected for treatment. For example, Hyaluronic Acid or PRP.
You will enjoy firmer skin, a more even skin tone, and a luminous glow.
Recovery From microneedling
We will give you personalized recovery instructions to help you see your best results and most comfortable recovery. Minimal downtime is required after microneedling; you can return to your daily activities immediately after your session.
As we mentioned, your skin may be red or feel dry after your microneedling treatment. Some patients describe the sensation as similar to sunburn. Patients can conceal redness with mineral makeup, and after several days, patients can return to non-mineral makeup. If you choose, you may wish to take one to two days away from the public eye until any redness subsides. Mild scabbing or flaking may occur, but this is normal and will heal quickly with proper care.
- You will receive a moisturizer or other nourishing topicals to help counter redness and keep your skin happy and hydrated after your treatment.
- When applying these creams or touching your face for any reason, make sure your hands are clean.
- Avoid using scrubs, exfoliants, and products that contain acid for the week following your microneedling.
- Do not wax during this time.
- Practice safe sun exposure and try to avoid direct sun during your recovery.
You will notice an improvement in your skin tone within a few days after your microneedling treatment. The volume and texture of your skin will continue to improve over the weeks following your procedure as newer, collagen-rich skin works its way to the surface.
Patients who receive PRP applications will see faster healing times after their microneedling. For example, the skin will heal in 2-3 days instead of 3-4 days after standard DermaPen treatment.
Resurfacing Lasers vs. Microneedling
Resurfacing laser treatments improve skin tone by applying heat to break up pigmentation, tighten the collagen, and induce the production of new cells in the skin. While laser treatments are an excellent option for specific candidates, these treatments are usually the safest and most effective for patients with lighter skin pigmentation, which limits the candidate pool.  Laser resurfacing has incomparable skin resurfacing results, but some people may not want downtime, cost, or general anesthesia required.
Microneedling does not apply heat to the skin. Therefore, there is no harm done to the skin during microneedling. The Microneedles create “micro-wounds,” which trigger skin healing and renewal.
Skin will be red and flushed following microneedling and after Laser Resurfacing, but any redness will subside within days of the treatment.
Why Should I Choose Medical Microneedling?
Does your skin need a pick-me-up? If you are unhappy with the quality of your skin and have multiple issues you would like to address, consider microneedling! microneedling treats various skin concerns at once for comprehensive rejuvenation. In addition, medical microneedling can improve the uptake and effectiveness of nourishing serums (medical-grade skin products), producing mind-blowing results.
With this minimally-invasive procedure, you will see long-term improvement in the feel and appearance of your skin.
The Results of Medical microneedling
- Smoother skin with fewer fine lines and wrinkles
- Improved or eradicated vertical lines around the lips
- Reduced acne scars and blemishes
- Youthful volume
- Tightened pores
- Boosted collagen production
- Reduced hyperpigmentation and a more even skin tone
- Erased stretch marks from the body
- A healthy, natural-looking glow
Newer, collagen-rich skin will work to the surface four to six weeks following the treatment.
The best outcomes with microneedling treatment reveal themselves after three treatments.
Cost of Baltimore microneedling
The price of a microneedling treatment will depend on the details of your individualized treatment plan. For example:
- The size of your treatment area
- The number of microneedling treatments you will receive
- The inclusion of PRP or HA application
If you live in Maryland and are interested in learning more about your skin rejuvenation treatment options, call Valley Plastic Surgery at (410) 628-8200.
We look forward to meeting you!
- LOVELL CR, SMOLENSKI KA, DUANCE VC, LIGHT ND, YOUNG S, DYSON M. Type I and III collagen content and fibre distribution in normal human skin during ageing. British Journal of Dermatology. 1987;117(4):419-428. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2133.1987.tb04921.x
- Banihashemi M, Nakhaeizadeh S. An introduction to application of platelet rich plasma (PRP) in skin rejuvenation. Reviews in Clinical Medicine. 2014;1(2):38-43. doi:10.17463/RCM.2014.01.001
- Charles-de-Sá L, Gontijo-de-Amorim NF, Takiya CM, et al. Effect of Use of Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) in Skin with Intrinsic Aging Process. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2017;38(3):321-328. doi:10.1093/asj/sjx137
- Miller TL, Kaeding CC, Rodeo SA. Emerging Options for Biologic Enhancement of Stress Fracture Healing in Athletes. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2020;28(1):1-9. doi:10.5435/jaaos-d-19-00112
- Gentile P, Garcovich S. Autologous activated platelet-rich plasma (AA-PRP) and non-activated (A-PRP) in hair growth: a retrospective, blinded, randomized evaluation in androgenetic alopecia. Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy. 2020;20(3):327-337. doi:10.1080/14712598.2020.1724951