A neck lift is a rejuvenating surgical procedure that smooths and contours the neck and jawline. Unfortunately, the effects of aging can create discouraging changes to our aesthetics. The elastin and collagen responsible for keeping our skin smooth and supple start to decline. In addition, the muscles of the neck loosen.  As a result, unflattering wrinkles, jowls, vertical bands, and sagging skin begins to appear on the neck. A neck lift provides patients with long-term effects and a more youthful appearance by removing excess skin and tightening neck muscles. Dr. Alyson Wells is passionate about her patients’ results and is dedicated to helping them to live as the best version of themselves. She and her staff have the necessary experience and knowledge to help patients in the Baltimore and Washington DC areas. Reserve your initial consultation appointment at Valley Plastic Surgery & Medi-Spa by calling (410) 628-8200 or requesting one online.
- 1 About
- 2 Benefits
- 3 Ideal Candidates
- 4 Personal Consultation with Dr. Wells
- 5 Preparation
- 6 Procedure
- 7 Recovery
- 8 Results
- 9 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 10 Cost of a Neck Lift in Cockeysville
- 11 FAQ
- 12 References
Many people consider having an optimal outline for the jaw and neckline an important part of appearing attractive. Extensive research shows that most patients want a distinguished, angular jawline but softer, slimmer neck contours; not being able to achieve this can have an impact on their emotional well-being. Sadly, this highly idolized look can’t always be achieved because genetics, weight changes, or aging may stand in the way. These factors cause neck muscles to weaken and separate, specifically the platysma (the large strip of muscle that stretches from the collarbone to the jaw).  As time goes on, patients are left with an unflattering double chin, neck banding, wrinkles, and jowls. A neck lift, or platysmaplasty, rectifies this by repairing these loose or separated muscles, trimming off extra skin, and removing fat deposits. Readjusting these layers of the neck allows patients to enjoy smoother, more youthful contours for years to come.
A neck lift procedure allows men and women to achieve a redefined, elegant neckline that subtracts years from their appearance. The surgery also offers patients the ability to:
- Gain graceful contours and tighter skin
- Eliminate the appearance of “band lines” and “turkey neck”
- Enjoy a procedure with discreet, minimal scarring
- Receive a customized treatment that can address multiple concerns in one procedure
Candidates bothered by wrinkles, sagging skin, or unwanted fat deposits around their necks can benefit from this anti-aging procedure. Dr. Wells will assess your specific case to ensure you meet the criteria for surgery.
Eligible Patients for a Neck Lift:
- Are individuals without underlying health conditions that could interfere with surgery
- Abstain from smoking and drinking alcohol until finished recovering
- Have an appropriate amount of skin laxity
- Are committed to following aftercare instructions
- Have a desire to make positive changes and are well-informed about the details of the surgery
Personal Consultation with Dr. Wells
Why Choose Dr. Wells
Alyson Wells, M.D., F.A.C.S. continuously combines her numerous years of training, discerning eye, and expertise to offer exceptional results. Her unwavering commitment to integrity, compassion, and patient care has led her to become one of the country’s most recognized and respected surgeons. Once inside our state-of-the-art office in Cockeysville, our patients will be welcomed by a caring staff dedicated to patients’ physical and emotional well-being.
Your consultation is an opportunity to discuss your unique circumstances and determine whether a neck lift will address them. Once Dr. Wells gets to know more about you and your aesthetic concerns, she’ll examine your neck, jawline, and the area under your chin. We’ll be sure to address your concerns and answer all of your questions to make sure you feel educated and confident about your decision to get surgery. Once she has finalized her customized treatment plan, she will explain all the details of your surgery.
You will receive a list of pre-surgical directives to follow before your treatment date. We’ll discuss how to get ready so that you can recover quickly at home. Dr. Wells will tell you to:
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol to avoid complications with healing.
- Taper off certain medications such as NSAIDs and pain relievers.
- Designate someone to drive you home.
- Prepare a cozy, relaxing recovery area at home with essential items close by.
- Follow directions for fasting the night before surgery.
- Take 1-2 weeks off from work to rest and heal.
To start, you’ll be administered general anesthesia. Once it’s taken effect, Dr. Wells may utilize one or more neck lift techniques based on the treatment plan you’ve agreed upon. Here’s what your experience may look like:
- Traditional Neck Lift (platysmaplasty): An incision is made at the hairline near the sideburns. It goes downward around the ear and toward the hairline at the back of the neck. This allows Dr. Wells access to the tissue under the skin of the neck. She can then reinforce the platysma muscles to create a more even, smoother effect.  Then, the skin will be draped over the newly created contours, and excess skin trimmed off. Some patients may require liposuction to remove unwanted fat from the neck.
- Limited Incision Neck Lift (cervicoplasty): Patients who are looking to correct the area underneath their chin, and who aren’t concerned with excess skin are suitable for this treatment. A small incision is made where the underside of the chin meets the neck.  Next, skin flaps are then gently elevated, excess fat is removed, and the platysma is sutured back together for a cleaner angle.
Once complete, your incisions will be closed with a combination of absorbable and permanent sutures.  Dressings will be applied, and you’ll be given a specialized compression chin and neck band to help with swelling.
Our staff will monitor your healing at a series of follow-up appointments, beginning in the days immediately after your surgery. The bulk of your recovery will take place within the first 1-2 weeks. You may experience stiffness, tenderness, swelling, and discomfort during this time. These symptoms can be alleviated by taking the prescribed medications. Patients will have specialized dressings to help with swelling and may have small tubes placed in their incisions to prevent fluids from accumulating. We’ll give you further information on how to care for them and when they’ll be removed. When resting, please keep your head elevated and avoid physically strenuous activity until given the OK. After two weeks, most patients can return to light activity, including desk work.
Your final results will materialize within the next several months, at which point any lingering symptoms will resolve. Your old worries and self-consciousness will be replaced by a rejuvenated and strikingly refined look for the neck and jawline.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Valley Plastic Surgery & Medi-Spa is pleased to offer patients in the Baltimore area a full suite of procedures and services to enhance their facial appearance. You may benefit from these procedures if you’re considering a neck lift.
Many patients combine a facelift with their neck lift to dramatically improve their entire facial appearance. Facelifts are tailored procedures that reposition underlying tissues and tighten the skin to produce a fresh-looking face without wrinkles or lines.
A brow lift eliminates sagging and reduces pesky wrinkles in the browline and forehead. To do this, Dr. Wells makes small incisions concealed above the hairline to lift and reinforce weakened muscles to produce a younger-looking aesthetic.
Patients looking to reduce skin that causes an older appearance or blocks their vision can elect to have eyelid surgery. Incisions are made in the natural creases of your eyelid to remove extra skin and fat from upper, lower, or both eyelids. Patients enjoy a younger and more alert appearance.
To learn more about the latest in aesthetic procedures, follow The Valley’s blog!
Cost of a Neck Lift in Cockeysville
A neck lift is a treatment customized to your unique needs and anatomy. As a result, the final cost for this treatment varies between patients. To find out how you make your treatment more affordable, check out our financing page.
How long does a neck lift last?
A neck lift can’t prevent aging, but it can turn back the clock, and most patients enjoy the results of their neck lift for the next 10 years.
Will a neck lift address signs of facial aging?
A neck lift provides wonders for parents wanting to make revisions to their neck and jawline. However, the procedure does not make changes to the face. For that, patients should consider a facelift.
- de Castro, MD, C. C. (2003, May). Neck Lift. Academic.oup.com; Aesthetic Surgery Journal. https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/23/3/165/252764
- Jordan, J. (2012). Direct Cervicoplasty. Facial Plastic Surgery, 28(01), 52–59. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0032-1305790
- Sanan, A., & Most, S. P. (2018). Rhytidectomy (Face-Lift Surgery). JAMA, 320(22), 2387. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.17292