Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) for hair restoration is a regenerative treatment that can reverse a receding hairline or decelerate balding. Patients have a blood sample taken, which is then prepared to isolate the platelet-rich plasma, and injected into the scalp. This then facilitates hair growth. The quick and easy treatment results in a natural-looking, thicker set of hair for both men and women.
Sadly, aging, illness, or genetics can all play a role in hair loss. However, PRP lets patients defy the odds and regrow hair without the use of painful incisions or transplantation techniques. This ingenious solution stands out. Dr. Allyson Wells of Valley Plastic Surgery & Med Spa in Cockeysville, MD is here to help you live confidently with a healthy head of hair. Start your journey in realizing thicker, more luscious hair by scheduling a consultation session at our office. Or, call (410) 628-8200 to speak with a friendly staff member.
About PRP Treatments
The development and usage of PRP treatment can be traced to the 1970s when hematologists needed a way to differentiate blood with higher platelet counts.  Back then, the main use for PRP was for blood transfusion for patients with low platelet counts. However, the utilization of PRP for therapeutic reasons has gained notoriety in recent years. High-profile athletes such as Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, and Alex Rodriguez have chosen Platelet-rich plasma treatments to rehabilitate their sports injuries. Known for its regenerative properties, PRP has become a popular alternative to treat conditions such as hair loss, injuries, joint pain, and to improve the skin.
About PRP for Hair
According to Cleveland Clinic, around 50 million American men and 30 million women suffer from some form of hair loss.  Hair loss and hair thinning are common problems in both genders across all age groups. This problem has led to the birth of many hair restoration products with different rates of success. One of those hair restoration treatments is platelet-rich plasma (PRP). Platelets play an integral part in the healing process. Along with red and white blood cells, these platelets or thrombocytes, are found in the blood and play several important roles.
Platelet-rich plasma has several important growth factors, and help maintain homeostasis by forming blood clots and releasing the chemicals that repair tissue.
PRP hair treatment does just that. The process involves drawing blood from the patient, which is then sent through a centrifuge to separate the components of the blood and isolate the concentration of vital platelets used to promote healing.  They are injected into the scalp to encourage tissue regeneration and facilitate hair growth.
The regenerative properties of PRP treatments offer patients hope for natural, luscious-looking hair that can be enjoyed for years to come. Here are other ways your PRP treatment can help:
- Promotes hair follicle growth
- Treats receding, thinning, or balding hair
- Leverages your body’s natural healing capabilities
- Minimally invasive procedure with minimal discomfort or lengthy downtimes
- Natural-looking results
- Increased self-confidence
Ideal candidates are healthy individuals with mild to moderate amounts of hair loss. Dr. Wells is happy to offer this treatment to grow thicker hair because it is simple and more effective than other hair restoration products on the market. While this exciting treatment offers lots of benefits, it may not be for everyone. Interested candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Are at the early stages of hair loss
- Non-smoker or be willing to stop throughout the treatment process
- Free of diabetes, scalp, or other viral infections
- Have realistic expectations about PRP treatment
An informative session with Dr. Wells will evaluate your condition to determine how to restore your hair, and put the brakes on balding. Schedule your consultation by filling out our easy contact form or by calling (410) 628-8200.
Personal Consultation with Dr. Wells
Dr. Alyson Wells’s unrelenting commitment to excellence has made her stand out among her colleagues in the Baltimore-Washington area. Since creating her private practice, Dr. Wells has enjoyed consistent rankings on Top Doctor lists from the Greater Baltimore Medical Center and Baltimore Magazine. Her wealth of knowledge, experience, and versatility in plastic and reconstructive surgery allows her to create exceptionally beautiful results for her patients.
Your consultation takes place in our inviting offices in Cockeysville, MD, a 30-minute drive north of Baltimore. This friendly discussion will be your chance to ask any questions you may have about hair restoration, and discuss your desired aesthetic goals. Doing so allows us to understand what you’re hoping to get out of the treatment. Next, we’ll examine your scalp and hair follicles. Once we develop a treatment plan, we’ll discuss the specifics of how a PRP treatment will facilitate hair growth. Finally, just before you leave, we’ll give you a list of preparatory steps to follow until your treatment.
Following these instructions steps will ensure you get the best results from your PRP treatment. Dr. Well recommends you complete the following:
- Avoid smoking a few days before treatment
- Keep away from long periods of sun exposure
- Make sure you’re properly hydrated at least two hours before your procedure
- Do not use hair products a few days before and after treatment
We’ll start your PRP treatment by drawing your blood, usually from your arm. The blood is put into a centrifuge for about 10 minutes. High speeds from the machine spin separates the red blood cells, platelet-rich plasma, and platelet-poor plasma.  The platelet-rich plasma is then isolated and prepared in a syringe. It is then injected strategically into the scalp. Depending on your condition, injections can be administered half an inch apart wherever there is thinning hair.  Once complete, the treated areas are cleansed, and patients are free to return to their day without significant downtime.
Expect a quick recovery from a PRP hair treatment. For the first week or two, you may feel mild soreness and irritation at the injection site. Please avoid strenuous activities for a few days. Within a week, you can continue using hair care products again. In the weeks that follow, you will start to notice gradual hair growth. Most PRP treatments require three treatments placed 4-6 weeks apart. Patients will need to come in for maintenance treatments every 4-6 months.
Your treatment is carried out over the next few months. You notice gradual yet noticeable changes on your scalp within 3-6 months. The effects of aging are reversed as dense, thick hair follicles will start to form in areas that need filling.
Multiple studies have proved the results. A 2019 study chronicled two groups using different hair care treatments for six months. They found 20 out of 30 participants who used PRP treatments enjoyed better results than those who used Rogaine. 
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Curious on how PRP can improve other areas? Valley Plastic Surgery and Med Spa is pleased to offer two similar PRP treatments focusing on skin rejuvenation and facial rejuvenation. Patients may also be interested in:
- PRP Skin Rejuvenation: Smooth, brighter, fuller skin can be yours with a skin rejuvenation treatment. It uses the natural resources of your blood to grow healthy cells and heal your skin. Can be combined with microneedling to penetrate deep into the skin.
- PRP Facial Rejuvenation: Also known as a vampire facial, a PRP facial uses microneedling and smooths wrinkled skin, evens out skin tone, and improves skin texture.
The final cost of your PRP hair restoration treatment is highly customized. The cost is dependent on the extent of your hair loss. Dr. Wells will give you an estimated quote at your consultation. Financing options are available to help you cover the cost of treatment. You can also give us a call to find out how to make your treatment more financially attainable.
When will I see my results?
Results can develop gradually, and be seen within 3-6 months.
Are these treatments safe?
PRP treatments are extremely safe because they use your own blood. This eliminates the possibility of allergic reactions, complications or adverse side effects. More and more published medical studies are documenting the usefulness of PRP to treat a wide variety of conditions, from sports injuries to hair loss.
Will it hurt?
Minimal discomfort may be felt during the process but will subside when your treatment ends. This minimally invasive treatment does not require incisions or downtime.
- Alves, R., & Grimalt, R. (2018). A Review of Platelet-Rich Plasma: History, Biology, Mechanism of Action, and Classification. Skin Appendage Disorders, 4(1), 18–24. https://doi.org/10.1159/000477353
- How Platelet-Rich Plasma Helps Hair Growth. (2020, December 22). Cleveland Clinic. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/hair-loss-got-you-down-platelet-rich-plasma-may-regrow-it/
- Verma, K., Tegta, G., Verma, G., Gupta, M., Negi, A., & Sharma, R. (2019). A study to compare the efficacy of platelet-rich plasma and minoxidil therapy for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia. International Journal of Trichology, 11(2), 68. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijt.ijt_64_18
- Zhang, J., Zhang, J., Zhang, N., Li, T., Zhou, X., Jia, J., Liang, Y., Sun, X., & Chen, H. (2020). The Effects of Platelet-Rich and Platelet-Poor Plasma on Biological Characteristics of BM-MSCs In Vitro. Analytical Cellular Pathology (Amsterdam), 2020, 8546231. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/8546231