It’s no secret that people are getting surgery at a younger and younger age. In fact, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the number of procedures performed on patients aged 20-29 accounted for 12% of the total procedures performed in 2020.  So what is the best age to get a Facelift? There really is no perfect age, yet younger patients generally see better results and have faster recoveries than those who wait until they are older. Keep reading for more information about the best time to get a Facelift plus tips for recovery and more.
The Aging Face
As we age, our skin changes. Our facial bones regress, the skin thins, and soft tissue deflates — it’s a losing combination. Furthermore, the production of collagen and elastin, the proteins that give our skin its firmness and elasticity, slow down. This loss of firmness and structure leads to wrinkles, sagging skin, and a generally more aged appearance.
Here are some factors that may lead to premature skin aging:
- Skin Type: If you have thinner skin, you may see the effects of aging sooner than someone with thicker skin.
- Sun Exposure: Sun exposure can cause damage to the skin because UV rays can break down collagen and elastin.
- Smoking: Smoking can cause wrinkles and other changes in the skin because tobacco is toxic for cells; it changes the structure of the skin. 
- Genetics: You may be more likely to develop wrinkles and other signs of aging prematurely if your family members did too.
A facelift can help to improve the overall volume and appearance of aging skin, but is it better to get a facelift before the signs of aging become too noticeable or to wait until they are more pronounced? Based on long-lasting results and patient recovery time, there is no time like the present to address an aging face!
The Modern Facelift
This isn’t your mother’s facelift. Today’s methods address both the skin and the underlying structures, including what is called the SMAS, to create a natural-looking lift. These developments might be why younger patients are looking to get ahead of the signs of aging before they become glaring.
Today’s surgeons understand the anatomy of the face and how to fine-tune their technique to address any degree of facial aging. During surgery, Dr. Wells is not simply tightening loose skin; she is lifting, repositioning, and adding volume to the structures of the face to create a more youthful appearance. Younger patients rejoice!
Of course, the term “young” means something different to every patient, so the best way to find out if you are a good candidate for a facelift and what your results might be is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Wells. She will be able to tell you if this is the right time, or if a Facelift might not yet be necessary. Furthermore, at Valley Plastic Surgery & Medi-Spa, we offer a range of procedures that can address all your skin concerns. So call us today to get the ball rolling!
Facelifts may continue to gain popularity because methods and techniques continue to improve or because of societal pressure. Our culture is especially youth-obsessed, and as we see more celebrities staying younger-looking longer, the pressure to do the same increases. It’s no surprise that people want to look as good as they feel, and a facelift can help them achieve that goal.
You Look Refreshed!
One of the things we hear from our younger patients is that they don’t want anyone to know they’ve had a facelift. We understand, even if we think everyone should do what feels best for them. Well, we also hear from post-operative patients that their friends and family say things like:
- “What is your secret?”
- “Are you aging backward?”
- “You look fantastic!”
- “Did you just get back from vacation?”
Patients tell us they love these compliments, and the best part is that no one knows their secret!
The Benefits of Getting a Facelift Early
There are several benefits to getting a Facelift before the signs of aging become too pronounced.
- First, you will have a more youthful appearance for a more extended period of time.
- Second, today’s facelifts are less invasive than they used to be, so the recovery time is shorter.
- Third, you can address other concerns, such as sun damage, at the same time.
- Finally, getting a facelift earlier can be less expensive in the long run because you will likely need fewer procedures as you age.
A facelift is a big decision, but if you are unhappy with the signs of aging on your face, it may be time to take things into your own hands– or should we say Dr. Wells’s hands.
Recovering From Surgery as a Younger Person
Generally, recovering from any injury or surgical procedure is easier when the body is younger because the skin heals more quickly in our youth. Why does the skin heal more quickly? Because the cells in our bodies regenerate more quickly when we are young.  Additionally, when we are young, collagen and elastin production is at its peak, which helps with skin healing.
Think of these other factors when it comes to recovery:
- Younger patients may not have had children yet, so there is no need to arrange for childcare.
- You may be in a less demanding job, so you can take time off to recover.
- You likely have more energy.
- Your body may be in better health, which will help you bounce back faster.
Of course, every patient is different, and you should discuss your recovery with Dr. Wells before having a facelift. Then, she will be able to give you a more accurate idea of what to expect.
Your Consultation with Dr. Wells
Your no-obligation consultation with Dr. Wells will help her better understand the stage of progressive aging in your face and skin. She can give you an idea of where things are headed and how a Facelift might help. For example, she might see early signs of volume loss, early jowling, or neck laxity.
When you both decide that a Facelift is right for you at this age, Dr. Wells will take your thorough medical history and do a physical examination. You will need to supply her with a complete list of medications and supplements. In addition, you may be required to undergo further testing or labs. Remember, when Dr. Wells asks questions, there is an important reason, so answer them as honestly and accurately as possible. For example, when she asks if you smoke, she wants to ensure there are no complications with your healing process.
We want you to be as comfortable as possible during your consultation, so please do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Call us at (410) 628-8200 if questions arise.
Once you have decided, with Dr. Wells, that a facelift is right for you, the next step is to schedule your surgery date. During your pre-op appointment, you will be asked to:
- Sign consents
- Undergo a final physical examination
- Take pre-operative photos
- Address any final questions or concerns
- Get your prescriptions for post-operative care
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery
Make sure all of your work or other responsibilities are taken care of so that you can focus on your recovery.
Prepare your Recovery Area
Set up a comfortable recovery area in your home before your surgery; this should be where you can relax and not have to worry about anything else. You might find ideas for “surgical recovery must-haves” on Instagram, Pinterest, or TikTok.
Here are a few of our suggestions:
- A recliner or comfortable chair
- Soft blankets
- Water and healthy snacks
- Entertainment such as books, magazines, movies, or TV shows
- A phone charger
- A list of emergency numbers
Make this space one you can disconnect from life and deeply rest, so you can return to your community and show off your new results!
How Young is Too Young?
What if you are in your 20s but can already see signs of aging due to sun exposure, smoking, drinking, or genetics? Well, it might be a little too soon for a facelift, but if you are not yet a candidate, there are many other resurfacing and plumping treatments Dr. Wells offers.
We can apply a Chemical Peel to improve the appearance of the skin on the face, neck, or hands. It uses a chemical solution to smooth the texture of your skin by removing the damaged outer layers. There are three different depths of peels: light, medium, and deep. Your aesthetic goals will determine the depth of the peel.
CO2 Laser Skin Resurfacing
CO₂ Laser Skin Resurfacing is a minimally-invasive procedure that can improve the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, crow’s feet, and other skin concerns. It uses a laser to remove the damaged outer layers of skin, revealing fresh, new skin underneath.
Injectables are a nonsurgical option to improve the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Common injectables used are Botox, that relaxes the muscles, and Laviv, that smooths smile lines by regenerating cells.
Fillers are a nonsurgical option to add volume to the face. Common fillers used are Juvéderm, Bolerto, and Radiesse. These work by filling in wrinkles and adding volume to the face.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in learning more about Facelifts or other procedures offered at Valley Plastic Surgery & Medi-Spa, please call us at (410) 628-8220 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Wells. The time for a Facelift may be now, but you’ll never know if you don’t go!
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. PLASTIC SURGERY STATISTICS REPORT 2020.; 2020. https://www.plasticsurgery.org/documents/News/Statistics/2020/plastic-surgery-statistics-full-report-2020.pdf
- Yazdanparast T, Hassanzadeh H, Nasrollahi SA, et al. Cigarettes Smoking and Skin: A Comparison Study of the Biophysical Properties of Skin in Smokers and Non-Smokers. Tanaffos. 2019;18(2):163-168. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7230126/
- Yun M. Changes in Regenerative Capacity through Lifespan. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2015;16(10):25392-25432. doi:10.3390/ijms161025392